Thursday, April 23, 2009

Looking forward

Not too much to say today...my legs are still feeling crappy, whether as an after-effect of Monday's death march or from the insane amounts of dance I'm putting myself through, I don't know, but either way, I attempted my first lower body ice bath last night (painful, but not terrible...I'm guessing the water could have been colder) and tonight I will be Sticking the shit out of myself. While enjoying a Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA...yum. But today, I actually am trying not to think about my race on Saturday because regardless of what happens I'm thrilled with my season. Today I signed up for the Madison Half-Marathon! A lot of WTC people are doing this race, which will be a lot of fun, it goes right past my house, and I'm pretty sure every inch of the course I've run on before at some point in my life. What better way to wish myself happy birthday/I love running in Madison than to run a race on my own stomping grounds? So I'm pretty excited. And I can all but guarantee I'll PR, most likely in under 8 minute pace if things go according to plan. Sweeeet. Did I mention I love running? There's always something to look forward to, and when you're in good shape it feels like there's nothing you can't do.

Also...I may be doing a spint triathlon June 13? Would someone please explain to me how I go about doing this? The BF is really excited because its in his hometown and is really gung-ho about me doing it...I guess, if all else fails, I just completely suck and say "hey, it was my first triathlon!" And then probably get addicted. Because that's just how I roll.

Well, Drake and Penn Relays are this weekend, so it will be cool to see how those go down. Its kind of fun actually following elite distance running to some degree (thanks, letsrun.com) and kind of being able to cheer people on, especially since distance running in the US has been improving so much lately. I didn't actually get to watch the Boston Marathon, but it was cool to hear about Hall and Goucher...even though I especially wanted Kara to pull it out, it's still damn impressive for both of them to get 3rd.

I'm nervous for Saturday. I haven't had a chance to think about it too much because I've had so much other crap going on, but I really feel like I have a lot to prove now (and isn't that funny, how now that I've actually achieved my end-all goal that NOW I feel like I have to prove something?). I've been so cranky this week because my legs just haven't been feeling good, but I'm hoping that when I get out of bed on Saturday morning, I'm ready to race. I KNOW I'm ready to race, and this will probably be my one chance to compete in a field where I actually have a chance of placing decently. There are a few WIAC schools coming, but most of their faster runners will be at Drake, and other than that its a lot of smaller schools without many good runners. So here it is: my chance to RACE. Last week, I ran a 19:54 by myself...lets see what I can do when there are people to pass, people to race with, people to beat.

Also, its supposed to be windy. Why is the weekend of April 25 ALWAYS WINDY?? Sigh.

No comments: