Saturday, April 18, 2009

Still in disbelief

Last night, at the Phil Esten Challenge at St. Mary's in Winona, MN, I ran a 19:53 5K. It was a 25 second PR, and I still am in complete and utter disbelief that I did it. I realize that just breaking 20, in the grand scheme of college 5K running, is not that spectacular, but to me it is a milestone that I never, ever, in a million years, believed I would be able to achieve. But I did it. I did exactly what I wanted to do: get out fast (although, I have to admit, I went out like 10 seconds faster than planned), get through the 2-mile in under 12:40, and then I managed to pick it up on the 3rd mile, which has NEVER happened in my life. My splits are ugly, but they work: 6:05, 6:35, 6:28.

A more complete race report is coming, because the entire experience of the meet itself was just ridiculous and hilarious, but I just needed to put this up because I am so, so happy. And so proud of myself for not giving in, and just DOING it. And even though this was supposedly my "goal" for the season, I honstly never believed it would happen. But I guess, during that race, some part of me knew it could. And I did it. :)

No comments: