Wednesday, June 24, 2009

It's too darn HOT!

I don't know what is going on in Wisconsin this week, but I'll tell you one thing: I don't like it! We are having an insane heat wave - yesterday, there was a high of 94 (which was almost a record!), and the next 3 days are looking like highs in the 90s too...plus over 50% humidity, so 90 ends up feeling like 95. Ugggggh. I don't mean to be whining about summery weather, but I think when it reaches the point where it's literally uncomfortable to be outside unless you're about to dive into a pool, I have to draw the line. Plus, running in heat and I don't get along very well. It forces you to run slower, I always feel sluggish and crappy, and humidity just ruins my life. Yesterday I downed 2 liter bottles of water and a 32 oz Powerade in about a 5 hour time period, and I still didn't feel hydrated - yuck!

Of course, this stupid heat had to show up just as I'm actually making an attempt to get back into actual training - for what, I don't know, but I'm basically looking at running 6 days a week, with at least one of those being longer than 7 miles and starting to do some tempo work and hills, and then swimming on my off day. That's what I want to do. But. Between this ridiculous weather and my work schedule, my plans aren't going that well so far. Yesterday I did 6 miles at 10 pm...and it was STILL 80 degrees with 60% humidity. Now really, that's when you know its too hot! I felt ok, and I like running at night, but I don't like it because it basically limits me to one route: the one well-lit and busy road near my house. It's a nice run, and there are some hills and stuff so its somewhat challenging, but I don't like being forced to run the same thing day after day. But last night it was alright. There's a frozen custard stand about halfway to my turnaround point that has saved my life on numerous occasions...my stomach dislikes hot weather as much as the rest of my body...so I ended up needing to stop there, and I splashed some cold water on my face and felt much better heading into the big hill of the run. I was planning on getting up super early this morning and running then, but after staying up until 2 chatting with the BF and one of my other roommates, that, uh, didn't really happen. I'm helping out at our seconds summer track meet after work today, so I'm hoping I can just get a few miles in on the track after the meet is over - I do love running under the lights! But I'm not letting myself take another day off this week - I'm already way too far behind in building any kind of summer base and its really time to stop slacking. So, somehow, some way, I WILL be running tonight!

It's just weird right now, having nothing specific to train for. I've measured my life in seasons for so long - summer XC base, XC, winter base, indoor track, outdoor track, rinse, repeat - that I feel like now that running XC next year isn't a guarantee [though it is still a possibility], that I don't know what to do with myself. I think once I get to Boston and figure out how/where I'm going to train, if there's a group I can train with, what I'm going to train for, etc - I'll be much better off, but right now I'm just kind of floating around. I need to RACE again. The triathlon made me want to do more triathlons, but I havent run a race in a month, and that's a long time for me. I'm hopefully doing a 4K XC race at Parkside on July 11, which is for a really good cause and also is fun because it's cross country - lets just hope I don't have to work. Speaking of, I'm off to work again, and actually kind of happy about it because work, unlike my house, has air conditioning. :)

1 comment:

Amy said...

I understand the whole training in seasons thing! I was very used to summer conditioning, in-season, winter conditioning, in-season...year-round, and it got exhausting! I tell you what, taking a more relaxed approach to running has really helped me a lot, esp. in the winter bc I haaatee running in the cold. I guess "relaxed" is a bad word...I still work hard...but you don't have to run 400 repeats if you don't want to, and you can do whatever kind of strength training of cross-training you want. I say, embrace this lack of structure and find what works for you.

And running a road race is a great idea! I have a whole bunch on the horizon that I want to do...it definitely makes training by yourself more enjoyable when you have a goal or a race to look forward to! :)