Thursday, September 17, 2009

Somebody call 911, fire burnin' at the reservoir!

Sorry for the awkward/ridiculous title...sometimes I seriously can't think of what to name these things. But it's fitting because: a) I feel like I'm on fire [in a good way] with running this week, and b) because I actually saw a car burst into flames on my run today. Yeah, kinda weird. I found yet another awesome reservoir to run around [seriously, whoever planned all these glorious dirt reservoir loops in this city? Genius.], this one ~a mile around, so I decided to do 4 loops there and then run home for a total of about 9.5. A couple laps in, I saw some steam/smoke coming from the road, but I thought it was just a crappy car with a bad exhaust system or something. When I got to the other side of the reservoir, there was not only smoke, but also fire! Cop cars and fire trucks showed up soon after and it looked like they had things under control before I left...but geez! I can honestly say that's the first time I've seen something like that on a run...

So running-wise, things this week so far have been pretty great. Maybe it's because I don't have a job and so I just have time to run a lot? Not actually very funny since I REALLY need a job...but I digress. On Tuesday night I went to a track workout with the Greater Boston Track Club, which I'm probably going to officially join eventually....wow....it was INTENSE. Basically, everyone who runs with them is really, really good. The majority ran in college, and not like me where yes, I competed in DIII in college but wasn't actually on a team, no, these people all ran for schools, and for the most part good ones. I heard one girl talking about how she got 2nd last at D3 XC Nationals...and it was just like...yes but...you were RACING at nationals! So yeah, they're pretty ridiculous. Luckily I had a group of about 4 girls to run with who were training for a marathon vs a 5K and around my pace, including my WTC running buddy, for the actual workout. But before the workout we did like a 4.5 mile warmup. Is it just me, or is that a little excessive? I was running with a couple girls who are also new to the club, and we were like...uh...are we ever going to turn around? We've been running for like 18 minutes...

So that was an interesting thing to do before a workout which was insane by itself...and I didn't even do the whole workout. The "plan" was 8 x 200 at 800 pace, then 6 x 1200 "steady" with 2 minutes recovery...with the estimated time for the 1200s being 4:30. Um, yeah. No. Since I did a similar workout to that ONCE in all of my life, and it was right before I peaked last XC season, and I did 6 x 1200 in the range of 4:35-4:45. So basically, that right there tells you how good these people are. Anyway, I decided not to worry about it since "speedwork" in my scheme of marathon training really isn't that fast, and went with going for a goal pace of similar to my Yasso 800s, so like 5:30. I really didn't feel that great going into it, but I managed 5 with only 1 that was really crappy...so that was good I guess. Probably could have managed some better times had I eaten before the workout...oh well. It's just kind of a weird reality check for me that right now, I can't run with the XC runners and that ~7:20 pace is "interval" pace on the track...like, what? I get on the track and I just want to go FAST! And it was weird being way, way, WAY in the back of the pack as opposed to right up with everyone like I was with WTC. I guess that's what you get when you come into a club that's really well known for having really good runners.

The thing that was awesome though, was just how NICE everyone was. This is something that I will love until the end of time about distance runners - literally, I've never met one who wasn't just super friendly. No one really gives a crap that you're slower than them - its not like anyone is looking down on you at all. Everyone was still asking me how my workout went, when the guys would come around and pass us doing their mile repeats or whatever, they would be like "lookin' good Greater Boston!" - the team aspect of this team is very apparent, and it's awesome. That's one of the main reasons that I think, even if I'm not quite up to the caliber of a lot of these girls, that I'm going to stick with them because who knows? Maybe in a few years I could be that good, if I've got such an incredible group of people to train with. More than anything, it was just nice having that team/people around on the track atmosphere - even when no one is running at the same pace or even doing the same workout, it's like, hey, we're all here for the same reason. And then you feel just that much better about the fact that you're doing intervals on the track at 8:30 at night in South Boston. :)

I guess related to the crazy mileage I've been putting down since arriving here, the Etonics are on their last leg. I have to say, I wasn't crazy about them at first, but they've gotten me through a summer of some of the highest mileage I've ever run with no injuries, and for $0.00, that's about all I can ask. That said, I have also almost worn a hole in the toe of the left shoe - I have astounded several of my friends with it. "How the hell do you toe-off THAT much?" I have no idea. All I know is that soon I'm going to be able to poke my finger through the bottom of my shoe, and that's when you know you need some new kicks. Mizuno Wave Inspires...I'm coming for you!! The only question is...which color? :)

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

the new running club sounds awesome! sure they may be a bit faster now, but just think how much you can and will improve by running with them. you definitely have a lot of speed in your near future :)

Jaderade said...

That sounds kind of scary, haha... but at least you have people to train with. I'm sure once you get used to going at their pace for workouts things will get much faster for you in general. Woooo!